Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Cycle 2 Week 2

History
In Class:  
We are going to sing along to the cute little song about feudalism!

I love how CC takes something like feudalism and sets it to a hokey little song (no sarcasm there, I really do.  The Fall of Rome was great last year!)
We will look at pictures while we sing and do some fun movements.  In the at home sharing center on CC Connected user melodystroud uploads a paper that has the history sentence broken down with pictures.  I'm a visual person so I love this!


Extended Activities:
Check back this week.  I'll try to add something here as we find it.  We may make a class system for our littlest pet shop pets (superheros) or something fun...
Feudalism fashion design?


Geography
In Class and At Home:

Nothing overly exciting here.  We are going to use our wonderful trivium tables to tell me and show me the rivers in Europe all week!
We will sing them to the tune of Do You Know the Muffin Man.


Science
In class: 
What are three types of consumers?

We will look at some precut animals and see what they eat.

Say memory work while looking at pictures (veggies, meat, both).  
Put the food in the animals belly.  (Precut animals).
You will get one to take home in your folder!

Here is the link to the pictures I put in my animals bellies

English
In class:  
A Pronoun replaces a noun in order to avoid repetition.

We will take the three dimensional shape for a pronoun (purple pyramid) and use it to push the three dimensional shape for a noun out of the way (black pyramid) while repeating the memory sentence.  

Here is the link to make your own noun (black) and pronoun (purple) pyramids if you choose to do the memory work with grammar shapes.


Extended activity:
Read a simple children's (or make up a story) and use the noun the whole time.

May I please have a glass.
I would like to put water in the glass.
The glass is dirty.  I will wash the glass. 
I will need soap and water to wash the glass. 
I scrubbed the glass clean, now I can put water in the glass.

This sounds funny because we didn't use a pronoun for the word glass.  Cross out glass and replace it with the appropriate pronoun to make is sound better.

May I please have a glass.
I would like to put water in it.
The glass is dirty.  I will wash it.
I will need soap and water to wash it.
I scrubbed the glass clean, now I can put water in it.


Here is how this looked at our house this week:

Instead of using a barn we used our littlest pet shop animals and their houses.  Use what you already have.  I'm sure you have enough of something that you can sort, label, and add the black triangle to it.  Just make sure you have a person, place, and thing.  

The first step is play.  The girls played with the animals for a long time, then I asked them to put them in groups.  As they did that I wrote labels for the animals, our family members, and the buildings.  Lilly wanted to color and cut out black triangles.  I was all for that.  

After everything was labeled we could talk about nouns, and more specifically proper nouns and capitalization.  

I simply had them tell me the name of one of their favorite pets and something about it.  (They LOVED this.)  I wrote it down as they told me.
"Sunshine is a kitty cat."  (Then place the black triangles on the nouns.)

This week we will use the proper noun too much, replace it with the pronoun and use black and purple triangles on the words.  Reagan (who is in first grade) will be asked to start writing her own little stories about her pets now that I have presented the lesson.

Math
In Class:
CC Connected puts all of their skip counting to songs.  This has been a great way for us to learn skip counting.  We will sing them in class!


Extended Activity: 

At home you can make a hopscotch outside and use the number you are skip counting in the boxes.  
We also do skip counting puzzles with clothes pins (cheep at walmart in the laundry isle!)
Write the number/or the number word on the clothes pin and have the child match it to the correct number on the paper.  
This is an easy station for kids of various ages.
Go to Pinterest or Google Images and search skip counting puzzles.  It brings up tons of pre-made printables. 

dr seuss skip counting puzzles

Latin
We are just singing the noun endings to the CC Connected tunes








No comments:

Post a Comment